Why Spelling Bee Competition for Indian Languages?
Many organizations out side India are trying to teach their younger one their own rich language. Spelling Bee Competition will not only encourage children to learn their language but also motivate their parents. BAPS Shri Swaminarayan Mandir - Houston has been organizing Gujarati Spelling Bee Competition from past couple of years. I was one of the audience members who were really amazed by the way children were very well prepared by their enthusiastic parents. The same concept has now been extended to all other Indian languages.
You can run spelling bee competition very easily in your language with the help of FREE software. As an organization you can run the competition very smoothly. For individuals, this software may help learn various words.
Jump start spelling bee competition
- Download sample software of your language and unzip the file on local disk. (Directly opening file from zip archive will not work)
- Open the file. It will show a form with couple of buttons. ( If security warning shows up when opening, allow the program to run)
- Press "Start Competition" button to start the competition. Select from available "Level" and click "Go->". Select available "Round" and click "Go->". It will ask you certain number of randomly picked up words from word pool.
- That's all.
Spelling Bee Competition structure
All sample Spelling Bee Competition software are coming with preexisting settings which can be customized later as per your need. When you are immediately starting the competition from these software, all existing settings are assumed. Here are few settings discussed.
Spelling Bee Competition
- Simple Words - 1
- Simple Words - 2
- Simple Words - 3
- Words with Kana
- Words with Hrasv and Dirgh I
- Words with Hrasv and Dirgh U
- Words with Anusvar
- Words with One / Two Matra
- Words with Kana and One / Two Matra
- Joint words (/ Half letter form)
- Joint words with Kana, Hrasv and Dirgh I
- Joint words with Hrasv and Dirgh U
As you can see, each competition is divided into first level of logical hierarchy called "Level". For example, an organization wants to run spelling bee competition for their Class 1, Class 2, Class 3 and Class 4 at the same time. Each class constitutes Level.
Each levels are divided into second level of logical hierarchy called "Round". For example, Class 1 should have total 3 rounds with increasing difficulty. Round 1 has very simple words, Round 2 has medium and Round 3 has tougher words and so on. For each round, total number of spellings to ask are already set (based on total number of available words)
Please read disclaimer before downloading.
Bengali Spelling Bee Competition Software (Size: 189 KB)
Gujarati Spelling Bee Competition Software (Translated) (Size: 511 KB)
Hindi Spelling Bee Competition Software (Translated) (Size: 282 KB)
Marathi Spelling Bee Competition Software (Size: 193 KB)
Kannada Spelling Bee Competition Software (Size: 162 KB)
Malayalam Spelling Bee Competition Software (Size: 140 KB)
Punjabi Spelling Bee Competition Software (Size: 179 KB)
Tamil Spelling Bee Competition Software (Size: 144 KB)
All above programs come with hundreds of words already put in their own Level and Round. This program can be completely translated in your own language. Currently only Gujarati and Hindi Spelling Bee competition software are translated. If you want to create your own Spelling Bee Competition starting from scratch, you can download
Spelling Bee Competition Software Template (Size: 97 KB)
All above software are created using Microsoft Access 2003. You can open it easily with Access 2000, 2003 and 2007. If you don't have Microsoft Access full version, you may download Microsoft Access Runtime which is completely free and these software will work with runtime
- Each software comes with a generic logo file called logo.bmp. You may want to change this file with the logo you want and the program will pick it up immediately. (Please do not rename the file. Program requires the file name to be logo.bmp)
- Only Gujarati and Hindi software are translated but you can do the same for any Indian language. When you open the file, click on "Setup Competition" > "Setup Text Translation". Here you can give your translation for each word/phrase and close the form. All these translated terms are used when you "Start Competition".
- Each form has footer. You can set the footer to display some text on each form. If you don't want to show it, remove the text. You can set the footer in text translation section.
- You can set up last round as "Tie" Round.
- You can print/export spellings by each Round
Various ideas about Spelling Bee Competition
- Judges will start this application and select appropriate Level and Round. Depending on the settings, certain number of random spellings will be chosen. Judge will speak it loudly. Participant has to speak the word with Kana/Matra/Hrsva I/Dirgh I/Hrasv U/Dirgh U. Participant can also write the spelling on provided whiteboard.
- Judges will start this application and select appropriate Level and Round. Depending on the settings, certain number of random spellings will be chosen. This application is projected on screen with the help of projector. Participant is required to identify letters and speak it loudly.
- Judges will start this application and select appropriate Level and Round. Depending on the settings, certain number of random spellings will be chosen. This application is projected on the screen with the help of projector. Each asked word has one blank. Participant is asked to spell the blank letter.
- Judges will start this application and select appropriate Level and Round. Depending on the settings, certain number of random spellings will be chosen. Judge will ask spelling. Participant has to give some detailed information like its meaning, grammatical category and example of phrase using asked word. Judges will be able to view all these information on computer screen to verify answer.
Software comes with a list of spellings which are a part of dictionary. Spellings are chosen randomly and hence all spellings may not be appropriate for the audience and may be offensive. Please go through a list of all words and remove words which you feel may not be appropriate in whatsoever sense. All words may not be categorized properly due to my limited knowledge of Indian languages. This software is thourougly tested but it is very possible that it may contain some errors (/bugs). By downloading this software and/or using it for any purpose, I will not be responsible for any loss/damage in any sense.